Tuesday, April 7, 2020


The One Who Defends and Disciplines Us 

“Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, 
I will fear no evil for you are with me; 
Your rod and your staff, they comfort me.” 
(Psalm 23:4) 


As I reflect on the broken path we find ourselves in this season, we truly are walking through a dark valley. The shadows cast by the unfamiliar terrain and the uncertainty each day brings could easily hide predators who have the ability to cause us great harm: COVID-19, financial hardship, bored children.

However, as we saw in the last devotional, we can find comfort in the fact that our Shepherd is right here with us. Not only has He led us into this uncomfortable place, but He calmly walks at our side as we pass through it. But, according to David’s psalm, our Shepherd doesn’t walk empty-handed.

When shepherds in David’s day were out in the field with the sheep, they would carry two items: a rod and a staff. This morning, we are going to focus on the rod.

The rod was similar to a security-guard’s night stick. It was a small club that is was easy to swing or throw. When a predator would threaten the flock, a shepherd would use it to defend the sheep. But a shepherd wouldn’t use it solely to chase off predators. The rod was also used to correct unruly or foolish sheep.

As Phillip Keller, shepherd and author of A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23, explains, “If the shepherd saw a sheep wandering away on its own, or approaching poisonous weeds, or getting too close to danger of one sort or another, the club would go whistling through the air to send the wayward animal scurrying back to the bunch.”

So the rod was used both for defense as well as discipline. And its presence in the shepherd’s hands brings the sheep comfort.

You might wonder how discipline can be comforting. Consider these words from Hebrews 12:

My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline, and do not lose heart when He rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines the one He loves, and He chastens everyone He accepts as his child. Endure hardship as discipline. God is treating you as His children.” (Hebrews 12:5-7)

So the discipline we go through is a sign of God’s acceptance and love for us as His children. But His discipline isn’t primarily punitive in nature, but rather formative. The author of Hebrews continues:

God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in His holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.” (Hebrews 12:10-11)

This season is painful. None of us would choose what we’re going through, and yet it has the potential to produce real spiritual growth in us if we are willing to lean in and trust our Shepherd. 


Admittedly, we could get mad at Him for allowing us to walk through this dark valley, and we’ll get nothing but out of this time but bitterness and disillusionment. 

Or we could fix our eyes on our shepherd and choose to trust Him as we walk with Him through it. If we do, then this season can produce a bountiful harvest of spiritual fruit in our lives: love for God and for those around us, joy and peace in the midst of uncertain circumstances, patience when things don't go as planned, and a greater sense of intimacy with our Heavenly Father to name a few. 

I don’t know about you, but it seems like an easy choice to me.


Father God, you are my Shepherd, and I trust you. I don’t like this painful place I find myself in right now, but I find comfort in the fact that you are with me in it. I’m grateful for the reminder that you defend me and you discipline me for my own well-being. Help me to keep my eyes fixed on you, and use this time to help me grow. Jesus, in your name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Soul Surfing

Whatever it is you’re facing today, no matter how exhausted, discouraged or disadvantaged you might feel, those things are only limitations ...