Wednesday, April 22, 2020

What We Leave Behind 

“Surely goodness and mercy will follow me 
all the days of my life.” (Psalm 23:6) 


Psalm 23 has been a declaration of trust from the sheep to his shepherd. And that trust isn’t just arbitrarily ascribed, it’s borne out of a life full of examples of the Shepherd’s care and competency.

Consider what David has declared to be true about his shepherd, and ask yourself, can I say the same?

I have never truly been in want. Even in times of scarcity, you have given me what I need.

Though I tend to run myself ragged, you force me to lie down in green pastures.

When I am tempted to drink from the polluted puddles of life, you lead me to still waters.

Time and again when I have felt discouraged and depleted, you have restored my soul.

Though I resist at times, you have always led me down the right paths.

Even now, as I find myself walking through a dark valley shrouded in the shadow of death, I am not afraid of the evil and brokenness of this world, for I know that I don’t walk alone. You are with me.

You carry the rod to protect me from harm, even self-inflicted harm.

And your Holy Spirit, like a staff, comforts me, encourages me, and reminds me you are near.

You nourish me in the face of those things I fear, and y
ou protect my mind from the pesky thoughts that swarm around me. 

Truly my cup runs over with examples of your goodness and mercy.

And now, as the psalm nears its end, David turns his focus to the fruit of the Good Shepherd’s care.

"Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days if my life." 

According to David, if we are under the Good Shepherd’s care, then we are not only recipients of goodness and mercy, but we get to be conduits of goodness and mercy to the world around us. It’s as if God puts so much blessing into our lives that we simply can’t contain it all; our cup overflows. 

Sounds wonderful. But is it true? I suppose that depends on whose lead we're following. 

One of the many ironies of sheep is that, left to their own devices, they can be incredibly destructive, ripping up grass by the roots and stripping an area bare. However, spread out and well shepherded, they can be incredibly beneficial for the earth. Ancient literature actually referred to sheep as “the golden hoof “ because of the beneficial effect they could have on the land.

Phillip Keller explains the impact his own flocks had on the surrounding countryside: “They left behind something worthwhile, productive, beautiful, and beneficial to both themselves, others, and me. Where they had walked there followed fertility and weed-free land. Where they had lived there remained beauty and abundance.”

Of course this begs the question, Is this true of my life as well?
It’s a worthwhile, albeit uncomfortable question to consider.

  • Where I go, do I leave goodness and mercy in my wake?
  • Is my life as blessing or a curse to others?
  • Do I create peace or conflict?
  • Do I stir up joy or anger?
  • Do I leave people feeling gratitude or frustration?
  • Am I known for what I’m for, or for what I’m against?
The list could go on, but you get the point. What sort of fruit is our life producing? After all, Jesus said you would be able to recognize those who are born of the Spirit by the fruit their lives produce. We're talking about fruit like love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness and self-control. The kind of stuff that is nourishing to the soul.

But this sort of fruit doesn’t just grow naturally. It’s a product of God’s Spirit working within us to become more like our Lord. It’s a lifelong process, but the outcome is so much better than anything we could ever produce on our own.

So Jesus lead on. I will follow. Thank you for the unending deluge of goodness and mercy that you pour into my life. And Spirit, do what only you can do in my heart. Nurture spiritual fruit within me so that my sphere of influence will be blessed and I will leave a trail of goodness and mercy in my wake. Amen.

**By the way, I want to share with you a tangible way you can help us spread goodness and mercy in this trying season. This Thursday, April 23, we are looking for 150 volunteers to help distribute food to 1,000 families. To find our more or to sign up to volunteer, go to www.lovecostamesa.org and look for the Project: “Costa Mesa Emergency Response Food Bank.” There is a strong chance this will be happening weekly for the next two months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Soul Surfing

Whatever it is you’re facing today, no matter how exhausted, discouraged or disadvantaged you might feel, those things are only limitations ...